Thursday 27 March 2014

Travel Photography


Exposure Modes. Exposure Compensation. ISO. RAW Files vs Jpegs. Shutter Speeds. Apertures. Depth of Field. White Balance. Focal Lengths. Histograms.

My head is spinning!

Last weekend I took a Travel Photography course here in Sydney.

The course was taught by Andy of Andy Piggott Photography. Andy has over 30 years of photographic experience, has been a professional photographer since 1981 and has travelled the world in search of capturing those perfect moments. 

His photographs have been published in Australia, Great Britain, the USA and throughout Asia. They have been featured in photography magazines, airline in-flight magazines, photographic "how to" books, travel brochures, calendars and advertising.

His website says:

"This 2 Day Travel Photography Workshop will prepare you to bring back high quality photographs from your travels rather than holiday snaps!

Beginners will learn how to use the various camera modes to best effect. If you already have experience with digital cameras you will learn new techniques.

Even if you don't have any travel plans the subjects and techniques covered in the course will improve all of your outdoor photography.

We will explore the use of Shutter Speeds to control the way motion is recorded.

You will learn how to control Depth of Field, practicing throwing backgrounds out of focus.

There will be tips on portraiture, including fill-flash and using reflectors.

You will learn how to get precision exposures and perfect colour.

There will be advice on what gear to take travelling and what you can leave behind.

Duration: 2 Days (12 Hours total)"

I have to tell you, it was a lot to take in over a two day period. I was going along just fine with my old 'point and shoot' camera and was even quite happy with the results of many photos that I've taken on my iPhone but obviously a major trip to Africa deserves much better than this. 

I want to come back with amazing shots that will not only appear on this blog, but that can also be used in the travel articles I intend to write upon my return. 

As the saying goes, 'You don't know what you don't know, until you know it.' Unfortunately I'm now hovering in that space of knowing that I really don't know much.

Even so, at least I've made a start and I thoroughly enjoyed the course. Andy made the effort to really individualise the learning. He knew about my Africa travel plans and also my desire to become a travel writer so whenever there was anything that was relevant to those he spent time giving me some more specific advice.

Andy also supplied all of the equipment that was needed. I had intended to buy a DSLR camera before the course, but now I'm glad I didn't as I got to use a range of models and was also able to talk to him about what would best suit my needs. 


Aside from the practical aspect of using the camera, we spent 'classroom' time in a beautiful cafe at the Hyde Park Barracks, over coffee and cake, and discussed some of the finer points of choosing and using equipment - lenses, flashes, filters, tripods, etc.

We also viewed a range of travel images, analysing what makes a particular shot work and discussing how to create stronger shots. He lead us through the thought processes that lead to striking images.

Unfortunately the night photography session on day two had to be cancelled due to a looming storm and will be rescheduled in the coming weeks.


Now I just need to buy that camera - I'm leaning towards a Canon EOS 70D - and start practicing.

One more step towards Africa.


6 comments:

  1. Phwew! Sandy, you're like a whirlwind - marathons, traveling, blogging, writing, now photography. Well done - keep it up!! Oh! This post made me feel I'd like to do the Andy Piggott sessions myself - maybe you should charge him some fees for marketing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Max. I think I have taken on a little too much. I just started uni and am trying to finish my first assignment as well as hold down my full-time job (I'm on call at the moment too, so I have 90mins to get to the airport should the phone ring. I need to have my bags packed for any location and number of days) plus I'm doing two online writing courses. I'm a little stressed.

      Delete
    2. Yeah I can understand that. But I am looking on with great admiration at what you are doing and how you are willing you are to step up and take a risk in so many areas - it is inspiring to me. So, stress is OK just don't allow it to stop you ... and, just in case it might help a little - sending you a big hug from an old mate. x

      Delete
  2. Great idea Sandy. I'm attracted to an article more by the photos than the "hook". Actually I'm currently still unhooked - do you think I might have hook block? Wayne - currently profileless as well apparently!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. 'Unhooked' in general or 'unhooked' by my writing efforts?

      Delete

 
site design by designer blogs